Presenting in Granada

| No Comments | No TrackBacks

This week has been pretty exciting for both Lauren and I. Actually, I guess I should clarify by saying that Wednesday was really exciting for the two of us; the rest of the week has actually been quite typical. On Wednesday, two very important events happened. First, we ran our final and 60th participant (which I will not really talk too much about because Lauren is planning to write about that) and second, we presented our projects to the lab here.

Overall, I think that our presentation, which I will attempt to post at the bottom of this post, went quite well. Afterwards, we were told that it was very good by some of the lab members, so I am taking that to mean that it was in fact a good presentation. However, we were lucky enough to have both Jorge and Jason here to look over our presentation before we actually presented it in order to look for any holes or confusing statements within it. They both leave for Norway at the beginning of next week, though, so I am very happy that we presented this week while we had them as a little bit of backup. Also, I felt quite comfortable presenting in front of the lab here. There were many smiling faces, which always make this process easier, and I genuinely felt as though everyone was really hoping that we would do well, not that this does not occur back home, but it was just something encouraging that I noticed in the moment here.

When actually starting to prepare a presentation here, Lauren and I decided that doing one joint presentation made more sense than two individual ones. Much of our information is identical, or at least similar, so in order to avoid simply repeating ourselves, one presentation seemed to work in our favor. However, this process of creating the presentation was really easy because we each had our PowerPoint presentations from the meeting back in April. It was really just a matter of making the flow a little smoother. The one downside to our presentation, however, was that we couldn't really show any eye-tracking data because we have been running so many participants so frequently. In addition, any data that we would be showing would just be about monolinguals, so it really would not help to prove or disprove a lot about the English-Spanish bilinguals.

On the whole, I think that everyone was very happy with what we provided and very impressed with the PIRE program. One of the points that we wanted to be sure to make was the significance of the PIRE program and what exactly it allows us to do because many of the people here did not quite understand why we were here. Honestly, though, it is quite a unique experience, so chances are that most students at American universities would not really understand it as well.

PIRE Presentation.pptx

No TrackBacks

TrackBack URL: https://blogs.psu.edu/mt4/mt-tb.cgi/264012